Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cee: First Classes

My first day of the fall semester felt a little strange, since, as I said to a student, it's been barely two weeks since I finished up the summer semester (I taught one section of comp in the summer) and I still don't feel ready to be back. . . since I don't feel like I ever really left. But on the other hand, it did make me feel more comfortable as I headed back into my classroom to teach.



Dress: Target
Cardigan: Inherited from my mother
Shoes: Payless
Sash: From another H&M dress
Necklace: Forever21
Earrings: Handmade, inspired by ASOS earrings

I went to my spirit animal, Joan Holloway Harris from Mad Men, for this look. I love the bright, summery teal of this dress in the more sixties-inspired cut (it's almost a wiggle dress, with a slight A-line to the skirt). And since it was almost a hundred degrees and I walk and bus to campus, I had to think about keeping it light (which I was very thankful for when it came to my fifteen minute uphill hike!).

I could have worn the dress without the cardigan, since I don't really mind going sleeveless in the classroom, but first day wanted something with a little more coverage. And besides, I wanted the white there to meet the white shoes. I punched up the color with my coral sash and paired it with light blue accessories, since coral and blue is one of my favorite summer color combinations.

All in all, it was a pretty successful first day outfit. I was a little hesitant about the length of the skirt (hit a few inches about the knee), but wore Spanx underneath so I could feel more comfortable sitting down, and it worked out fine. I am excited for my fall classes— I'm teaching both comp and a fiction workshop on the same day, and both classes seem like there's a lot of positive energy present. I've started being very frank with my students and telling them that I will bring all the energy I have to this class, but for it to be truly successful they are also going to need to fully engage with the material. I felt like this outfit matched the cheerful no-nonsense attitude that Joan Holloway gives, which made it just about right.

1 comments:

Ecrivaine said...

You look lovely! I like the color combination and the belted cardigan, a trend I have yet to try out, but which I love on others. It will be much easier to dress for campus once it cools off!

Post a Comment