Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Maximum Comfort

This has been an incredibly busy week, so busy that I didn't even have a chance to take a photo of my outfit yesterday, which I actually really liked. It was a grey dress with grey and yellow flowers on the bottom (much like the Old Navy dress the other day) with yellow teggings (teggings are an awesome super stretchy combo between leggings and tights from Re/Dress). I had two meetings with committee members on campus, and a department Welcome Back party for faculty, grad students, and their families. I wanted to be comfortable yet put-together, and not too formal. The outfit ended up being perfect, though I'm always a tad insecure when I don't get comments from others on my outfit.

There was a funny moment with one of my professors yesterday (unrelated to fashion), who is a self-identified butch lesbian. She was trying to offer advice on exam tactics, and used a sports metaphor. Knowing very little about sports, I had to ask for clarification, and I jokingly said, "Remember, I'm Femme!" she laughed and said, "This is where our genders come into play," and joked about telling her Femme partner about this. (I want to note that of course Femmes can enjoy and understand sports, but I happen to not be one of them, and it was a funny moment). It was the kind of moment where saying I'm Femme was shorthand for so many other things about my identity, and it felt so comfortable to be able to use that vocabulary with a professor and have them just implicitly understand. I also love the way my professor referred to our respective butch/femme identities as our genders, because that is how I think about my Femme identity. I'm not a man or a woman, I'm a Femme.

Today I am killing some time between the time I woke up, took out and fed the dog and when I can take him to daycare. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to wear today. I have some options, but I'm so tired, I just long for comfort. I have to teach this morning, and all I really want to do is sleep in. It is supposed to be hot today. If it were colder weather, I'd throw on a comfy dress, colorful scarf, and leggings, but I know that will be too warm for the walk from my car.

I also have a meeting after lunch with another committee member, and even though we're meeting at a coffeeshop, I still want to look nice.

I actually ended up wearing the exact same maxi dress/grey blazer combo I'm wearing in this shot here. It worked out well, because I was able to take off the blazer when my classes were done and when the weather heated up, but still felt more professional in the classroom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment