Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

OOTD Wednesday

Today's outfit did not go as planned at all. First of all, my dog had to go outside at 4:50 am, and I couldn't get back to sleep for an hour, which meant I slept in too late to take a shower like I'd planned. Which meant 3-day-old hair for me. Not how I wanted to start my 2nd day of teaching, but with some dry shampoo and another bun, I think it worked out ok.


Dress: Old Navy
Shoes: Orthaheel 
Bag: ASOS US
Glasses: Warby Parker


I'd planned to wear a hunter green shift dress with a gray blazer and a gold necklace. I had it all picked out and ready to go, but when I tried it on, I didn't feel comfortable with the level of VBO (visual belly outline). I'm trying to get more comfortable showing my VBOs, and I think this website celebrating the VBO is great, but some days I just don't have the spoons to be that risky with my fashion choices, and I think it is a risk for a fat, femme-presenting person to wear clothes that don't make every attempt to hide the fact that they are fat. It's a ridiculous attempt. No outfit is going to make anyone think I'm skinny. I'm not skinny. I'll never be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. But some days comfort (physical and emotional) comes first. Next I tried on my first-day-of-school dress from last year, but the top half was way too transparent for the bright pink bra I was already wearing, and I didn't have time to find another clean bra, so I grabbed this dress, which I have actually never worn. I love the floral pattern, but the purple/burgundy color is not one I typically choose. However, it's comfortable, and it worked out ok.

I like how you can see my bun in the mirror in this shot!


I think I ended up looking ok, and it was a comfortable dress, but I was so frustrated that my first two outfits didn't work out. I am also still having such a hard time getting up in the morning. I'm incredibly stressed about my upcoming exams and busy setting up meetings with my committee members for last minute advice and check-ins, and I'm really not a morning person. I'll be honest, too. I'm having a hard time with how I look right now. I HATE looking at these photos of myself. I always feel like I look better in the mirror, or the image I have in my mind than in a photograph. My body has changed so much over the past ten years, and even though I believe in body positivity, it's a struggle to always believe my ideals. Additionally, I'm sick of hot weather. I long for the weather to get cold enough to wear tights or leggings, cardigans, and sweaters. Pants! I am always happy when it gets warm enough to go without a jacket, but autumn and winter are my favorite seasons, so I really expectantly await the return of the cold.

I am glad that I have several different outfits lined up for these next few weeks, though. It helps quite a bit to have a rack of clothes from which I can choose rather than scrambling to find everything. I look forward to organizing my clothing after I'm done with exams!

How do you style yourself when things don't go according to plan?

3 comments:

NB said...

I totally have those days where several outfits come off and on in the mornings...it's really a tough way to start the day. I have a few dresses that are really easy to wear and always feel cute. If I try a few outfits and nothing feels/looks right, I try to just fall back on one of the old faithfuls and leave my bedroom ASAP.

(Off topic but interesting: my roommate practices this with food, too. If nothing sounds good and she's hungry/cranky, she will drive to a neighborhood restaurant and get some pad thai. It always works for her and I'm looking for a stand by food option for myself.)

I also empathize with your struggle to feel ok in your body from time to time. I think as fat activists we feel obligated to be 100% body-positive all the time and that is just not tenable for anyone. Congrats to you for speaking your truth and still trying your best to rock your clothes! <3

I love this dress and can't believe it's Old Navy! So cute!

:) Nicole

Mama Pants said...

I adore the dress, I too can't believe that was Old Navy. Most of their clothes are a miss for me, but once in awhile they score big with a beautiful design or fabric.

I too have my comfy outfits that are my stand by's if the outfit doesn't work. I try if I am going to wear something new or outside my comfort zone to try it on, and walk around the house a bit to get a feel for it. Sometimes though, things just fall apart anyway, and I go for something black or in the knits catagory.

What I hate more than things going awry in the morning is when I wear an outfit and it becomes more and more uncomfortable during the day, and I am stuck in it for 8 hours. I had a dress that I couldn't stand for this very reason, but I just couldn't get rid of it. I finally took it out again, really thought about what I hated and made so small revisions, now it is one of my favorites.

Sorry tangent.....

So glad you are writing again....

Georgia

The Chawmonger said...

I'm a fan of the bold floral pattern on the bottom of this dress -- I think you look really pretty :-)

I also empathize with the clothes-organization problem. I keep thinking I need to take a day to go through my closet and sort stuff out, because it is a jungle in there...

Post a Comment